Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Iron Peak (Teanaway) 6510'



I had an unexpected day free so I thought I would give the foot a truer test. I had hoped to do Lennox but with the poor weather and being a bit ambitious or the first time back I decided to do something a bit less taxing. I hoped the weather to be better in Teanaway and since I love the area in Spring I thought it to be a good bet. Originally I had hoped to tag Volcanic Neck and Devil's Head but my later than normal start prevented doing that. I decided that I would just do Iron Peak even though I have done it a few times before. I figured the trail would be mostly snow filled and I really wanted to spend some time on snow. I was happy to find sunny weather albeit very windy as I parked at the Iron Peak Trailhead. I liberally applied sunscreen to ensure I wouldn't be emblazoned with some painful memories. I really didn't know what to expect with both my healing of a torn tendon in my foot and more so with my fitness level. The foot gave me no issues and I was pleased to find my legs better than expected. Around 5000' I hit consistent snow and switched to snowshoes although they probably weren't needed. I felt like since I brought them I should probably use them.

   I purposely kept a slow even pace and just took the path of least resistance because the trail is still buried under over 3' of snow. I soon made it to the last steeper push to the saddle between Iron and Gene's Peak. The wind was howling along the ridgeline so I was very thankful that I had packed for this. I layered up with a third shirt and my windbreaker, gloves, and a stocking cap. I started South along the ridge trying to stay as far West as I could to avoid tempting the dog to wander over to the huge cornices that line the Eastern edge of the ridge. Once reaching the summit I tried to find a windless spot without success, but I did linger to glance over the many entries in the summit register. After signing the register I decided to head down looking for more comfortable conditions. Instead of retracing my steps I headed more West and plunged stepped down to the basin below. I did take off my snowshoes at the summit which provided a tense moment when I punched through awkwardly and couldn't get my foot out. I feared it was wedged between some rocks but after some gymnastics moves to get my self in a position that I could dig it out it thankfully was freed. Once in the basin below I found the a tree well to have lunch and soak up the last of the waning sun. The stiff wind was blowing in the next system and it even started to snow for a short time. Soon I was back to the car and thankfully the foot felt reasonably well. Hopefully tomorrow will not reveal any further issues. It was very good to back out. I have been on the bench for the longest stint of my adult life.  As I listened to the Mariner's game on the drive home it hit me how much I love being able to get out and all the satisfaction that it entails.

Approx 6 miles 2600' of climb 4 hours car to car






1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful. I plan on getting out there this weekend! Thanks for the report on updated conditions!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

lijit stats