Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Horse Lake Mt 3.17.09

Horse lake Mt is just West of Wenatchee and only holds interest because it ranks 99th on the backcourt 100. I had been sick last week but felt much better. I am still holding on quite a cough that I can't seem to shake. I felt with all the new snow and increased avy danger something less taxing was in order. I had some trouble finding Canyon 2 Road but my phone rescued me, you just have to love technology! The gravel road ends around 2300' where I parked. The road continues without snow but is very sloppy with mud. As I suited up I was pelted with a nice graupel shower that quickly passed, leaving bright sunshine. Just as I started I was wracked with a coughing fit. Frequently this makes me throw up which today was no diiferent. After collecting myself I was off. The road continued to be muddy for the first .75 miles until it switched to solid snow. There is a nice packed track so the goingbwas quick and easy. The bright sunshine felt good and spurred me on. Around the 1.5 mile mark I had another coughing episode with the same result. At approximately 3800' I left the road for a more direct line. Mostly it was easy going with the exception one short area that I forced to swim in the deep powder. Picking out the right highpoint was the hardest part of the finish. Soon I was on the true summit to christen it with another coughing fit. I quickly retraced my steps back to the car for the long drive home. It was another memorable day in the hills only marred by a serious head ache from my brain rattling in my head.




Approx 7 miles 2400' of climb 3:30 car to car

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

lijit stats