Friday, April 4, 2003

Dirty Harry's Peak 4.4.03

I parked right at Dirty Harry's road since I knew I would be out in plenty of time before they close the gate. I started up the road at 10:10 under mostly cloudy skies and rather cool temps. I hit new snow in just a matter of minutes. The road is rather rough in spots the middle third has alot of water running over it. I passed a man on the way up, which always suprises me this time of year. I passed the turn-off for Dirty Harry's Balcony and continued on up. Around 4000ft the snow became rather deep and since there hadn't been anyone before me to break trail the going slowed considerably. I managed to drag myself to the summit at 12:10 . Since there are some steep drop-offs to the northeast I didn't stay too long, not wanting to risk a dog over the edge. On the descent I passed the man I had passed earlier, he filled me in on some future hiking adventures. He has been maintaining this area for years ( thanks for the great job). I made quick work on the remaining descent. Since I had never been to Dirty Harry's Balcony I made the short sidetrip, just turn at the Penzoil can. Just before the balcony the trail continues on to the Mason Lake trail, passing another Balcony along the way and also connecting with the West Defiance Trail aka Putrid Pete's Peak. I returned to the car at 1:50.

Total distance approx 8 miles Total climb 3300ft Total time 3:40

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

lijit stats