The Barrier is located just to the SW of Stevens Pass. I wasn't looking for an overly long day today so this fit the bill for a half day. I parked at the uppermost Stevens Ski Area parking lot and booted up the access road. I decided after the road steepened to break out the ice axe. The road was very icy I could probably used crampons. I managed to kick step enough toe holds to make some fairly quick elevation gain. When I reached the terminus of the lift I switched to snowshoes. I passed the uppermost of the Grace Lakes and started a climbing traverse to attain The Barrier's North Ridge. The snow was mixed with mostly firm crust that made for easy walking but there were some areas of very soft snow in the steeper more open areas. I reached the summit with little trouble and contemplated continuing on the ridge ESE to Cowboy Mt. I decided to try just to see how it would go. For some inexplicable reason I descended Barrier's SW ridge. I began to wonder why I had dropped 500ft + of elevation with out reaching the saddle. I realized my mistake and retraced my way back to the summit. I still can't understand how I could have made such an obvious mistake. I guess no harm no foul. I found following back in my footprints on the lower portion required vigilance because of the very heavy snowfall. There were stretches where my prints were completely covered with the new snow. I chose to descend on the terrain park that was not open because the snow conditions were better than the hard packed access road. Although it is a somewhat short hike and it is so close to the ski area it really has a nice backcountry feel.
approx 6miles 1800ft of climb with detours 3:45 car to car
Monday, April 16, 2007
Monday, April 9, 2007
Cleveland Mt 4.9.07
Since I missed last week I was very eagerly anticipating today's climb. I had planned on climbing Cleveland Mt. and Easter Peak (Pt. 5326) via Easter Peak's East Ridge. The plan was to park at the West Fork Miller River Road and walk approximately .25 miles and leave the road. I have read a report that states the going is fairly straightforward. I wanted to reach the Easter/Cleveland saddle and then turn north to summit Cleveland and then retrace my steps to the saddle and then continue South to Easter Peak. When I reached Monroe I knew my day would be in jeopardy. The cloud cover was the nice dark gray shade that denotes some very heavy rain/snow showers. I reached my parking area and was treated to some heavy rainshowers. I continued on the Miller river road just to see how far I could drive. It is possible to drive about two miles past the bridge over the West Fork Miller River. There is a small blowdown that needs to be cut out and there is solid snow beyond it. I returned to my parking spot and waited 20 minutes to see if maybe I would be lucky and only having a passing shower. When the rain only increased I made my way back to Hy 2 hoping to get some cell reception so I could call in for a change of plans. I gave some thought just to return to home but I really needed to stretch my legs. The weather seemed to lighten up so I decided to try for Cleveland the more traditional logging road route. I have been up this road several times and it always seems to be an unpleasant walk. The road has many streams running on the roadbed making for some tricky snow. I found myself having to wind my way up the road doing my best to miss any of the voids in the snow. The joys of spring climbing! I was able to drive about .75 miles on the road and probably could have made it to the end of the first switch back had I pressed the issue. The weather was vastly improved as I made my way up. I didn't switch to snowshoes until around 3000ft. I followed the road until it's end. Here I left the road and climbed steeply trying to reach the Saddle between the closed contour at 4400ft and the ridgeline I hoped to use. After reaching a level bench at around 4100ft I reached my turnaround time. At this point the snow started coming down with some purpose and coupled with some gusty winds made for some fun conditions. I butt glissaded my way back to the road making sure to miss the small trees dotting the slope. I slogged my way back to the car making it back faster than expected allowing me a drive up the Money Creek Road. I was able to circumvent a road closed sign and was stopped by snow at around 1700ft.
Approx 11 miles 3000ft of climb and 6:30 Car to Car
Approx 11 miles 3000ft of climb and 6:30 Car to Car
Monday, March 26, 2007
Serpetine Hill 3.26.07
Since I missed last week I was very eagerly anticipating today's climb. I had planned on climbing Cleveland Mt. and Easter Peak (Pt. 5326) via Easter Peak's East Ridge. The plan was to park at the West Fork Miller River Road and walk approximately .25 miles and leave the road. I have read a report that states the going is fairly straightforward. I wanted to reach the Easter/Cleveland saddle and then turn north to summit Cleveland and then retrace my steps to the saddle and then continue South to Easter Peak. When I reached Monroe I knew my day would be in jeopardy. The cloud cover was the nice dark gray shade that denotes some very heavy rain/snow showers. I reached my parking area and was treated to some heavy rainshowers. I continued on the Miller river road just to see how far I could drive. It is possible to drive about two miles past the bridge over the West Fork Miller River. There is a small blowdown that needs to be cut out and there is solid snow beyond it. I returned to my parking spot and waited 20 minutes to see if maybe I would be lucky and only having a passing shower. When the rain only increased I made my way back to Hy 2 hoping to get some cell reception so I could call in for a change of plans. I gave some thought just to return to home but I really needed to stretch my legs. The weather seemed to lighten up so I decided to try for Cleveland the more traditional logging road route. I have been up this road several times and it always seems to be an unpleasant walk. The road has many streams running on the roadbed making for some tricky snow. I found myself having to wind my way up the road doing my best to miss any of the voids in the snow. The joys of spring climbing! I was able to drive about .75 miles on the road and probably could have made it to the end of the first switch back had I pressed the issue. The weather was vastly improved as I made my way up. I didn't switch to snowshoes until around 3000ft. I followed the road until it's end. Here I left the road and climbed steeply trying to reach the Saddle between the closed contour at 4400ft and the ridgeline I hoped to use. After reaching a level bench at around 4100ft I reached my turnaround time. At this point the snow started coming down with some purpose and coupled with some gusty winds made for some fun conditions. I butt glissaded my way back to the road making sure to miss the small trees dotting the slope. I slogged my way back to the car making it back faster than expected allowing me a drive up the Money Creek Road. I was able to circumvent a road closed sign and was stopped by snow at around 1700ft.
Approx 11 miles 3000ft of climb and 6:30 Car to Car
Approx 11 miles 3000ft of climb and 6:30 Car to Car
Monday, March 19, 2007
Denny Creek 3.19.07
I had planned this trip during my last week's trip and in retrospect I wish I would have waited. I have a tendency to fixate on a goal and make it fit whether the conditions cooperate or not. I was suprised to see some fellow NWhikers looking for some company on a non holiday Monday. After an endless amount of PMs back and forth I had the pleasure of some company. Yana braved my most irritating companions and my deadset poor trip choice. I was glad to get an early start I was hoping to outrun the incoming weather. I was hoping to use the Denny Creek Trail to try for Low Mt's summit. I knew the avy conditions were going to deteriorate as the day wore on, but my intended off trail route had very little exposure so I felt it would be ok. What I failed to consider was the higher exposure on the actual trail. We were forced to park about a 1.5 miles short of the trailhead because the road hadn't been plowed any further. The weather was actually quite nice to start as we made our way to the trailhead. Once reaching the trailhead there was enough previous foot traffic to make the route finding mostly easy. The first crossing of Denny Creek was only mildly annoying but the second was quite interesting. I was just able to span the drop to the bridge by holding a small tree and hope that my boot would hold on the slippery handrail. Once I was on the bridge deck I had to ""gently persuade"" the dogs down and then help Yana. Getting off the bridge was almost as challenging. Once on safe ground we snowshoed up and were off. I had forgotten how open the area above the creek crossing was. There was some consolidated avalanche debris to cross. I tried to stay in the shelter of the trees as much as possible. Once we neared the basin headwall there was no shelter from the avy slopes and the avalanche debris continued over the edge and dropped to the Creek well below us. After some deliberation I think we both agreed that at the time the danger wasn't great but we both were concerned with having to return later in the day when the danger was sure to be very much increased. Yana suggested trying to summit via Denny Lake, but I wasn't comfortable with being so far off our intended route. I always leave explicit directions with the spousal unit and I do my best not to deviate too much. We back tracked to a more sheltered area and had a short lunch. The crux of the return was again having to cross the bridge. I didn't have too much trouble shot putting the beagle up the 8ft bank but hefting the 100 pound shepard gave me a little more trouble. Thankfully both Yana and I were able to make it up the bank under our own power. We made it back to the car just as the rain started. For once the weather man had it right.
approx 7 miles 900ft of gain and 4 hours car to car.
approx 7 miles 900ft of gain and 4 hours car to car.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
With another chance to get out before the impending week long dump of snow I wanted to get out. ONELUV1 was available along with his friend...
-
I was just looking for a short day to get out. Since I was solo I wasn't looking for something overly technical but I still wanted to ...
-
I was very happy to see a improved weather forecast and since I had an entire day I thought I would give the legs a good stretch. The main ...
-
With the better weather expected I was hoping to get some work done on the Homecourt 100. I had read a recent report of using Bessequartz...
-
With an emotional week and a compressed time frame I was looking for something closer. I needed something efficient and with some elevation ...
-
With a rare opportunity with the family away I hoped to squeeze in an overnighter. I sent out some posts and was able to persuade Fletche...