Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Big Creek Lookout 5368', Blow Past Peak 5487', Blowout Ridge

I had done this trail once before on my way to Blowout Mt in some heavy snow showers some years ago. As is it being with most trips I don't remember much of it. I do remember having much trepidation with the condition of many of the bridges on the road that hopscotches Log Creek. I think I may have used a smaller spur road of the main Forest Road #41. For today I just stayed on #4110 until I reached the road that accesses Blowout TR 1318. Some of the bridges were indeed suspect but I was emboldened by the obvious recent traffic that was evident. I parked at the multi junction, for some reason it never entered my mind to try driving the spur road to the trailhead. I instead of walked the 2.5 miles of drivable road to the trail. I did chastise myself a bit realizing I would also have to walk that stretch of road back to the car. Undaunted I made quick time to the trailhead, with the near ideal weather. The trail itself is typical of the areas multi use trails. Stretches of motorcycle chewed up tread with nice, forested stretches. After passing both objectives the trail drops to a small pass as it moves towards Blowout Mt. and then does a rising traverse to reach a trail junction where I headed down into the basin to reach Blowout Ridge. The trail was in good shape and even surprisingly passed quite a bit of moving water albeit moving very slowly. Once I crested to the South side of the ridge, I left the trail to reach the ridgeline. I was still 1/2 mile from the highpoint but the dogs lost their steam, so I decide to give them a break in the shade. I contemplated continuing on the trail hoping it connected with the road I was parked on. I thought it would be actually shorter than retracing my steps. That portion was off the map I had printed so I thought it best to relent and head back the way I had come. I wasn't too enthused with having to do two more climbs before starting the descent proper. Thankfully all the climbs are relatively short. The final descent of the trail was tedious with all the larger loose rocks but thankfully it is also short. 10.5 Miles 3130' of climb 4:35

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

lijit stats