Saturday, September 5, 2026
Scout Patrol Peak 4627'
It has been a while since I posted anything mostly because I haven't been doing anything to inspire any awe in anyone. But today's escapade is a good reason for me to start again. Over the years I have done so many trips that I don't remember many details of the majority of my outings. To be fair I hadn't intended on doing Scout Patrol today so I wouldn't have read my report on my previous climb. If I had, it would have taken some of the anxiety of the day out of the equation.
The goal for today was to do Songbird Peak, South of I-90 utilizing using the climber's trail that leaves the Iron Horse Trail near Olallie State Park but as things usually go I found the road closed preventing my access, although I could have got off at exit 42 and backtracked but I wasn't interested in doing that. I debated on what to do instead and settled on Humpback via the steep but easy to follow climbers trail. I parked off the gated spur on Hansen Creek Road. I walked the mining access road until I reached the climber's trail. I have been nursing some chronic Achilles pain on my left heel so I was curious to see how it would respond to the steep climb. The Achilles was up to it but my weak-minded resolve was not. After 700' of climb I just couldn't make myself continue. I backtracked to the car and opted for Plan C. I drove to the gated end of the Hasen Creek road and parked in the spacious parking area. I walked the road until the first junction where I turned on to a spur road and walked to its end just below Scout Patrol's summit. The 600' of climb to the summit was straightforward and went quickly. The only thing I remember from my previous trip was that I had injured myself on this portion and it involved quite a bit of blood. Not wanting to have a repeat I did take extra care. I didn't linger on the summit and continued on a faint path leading to what I had hoped would be a logging road beneath me. I was off a bit on my line and soon found myself in a steep and extremely brushy slope. Realizing my error, I tried to do a rising traverse to get myself back on track. The brush was so thick that I had to unleash both dogs and soon I wasn't able to locate one of my pups. I couldn't see more than a few feet, and I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with my situation. I called to my older dog to find his sister, and he obeyed and herded her to an area much more hospitable. I reunited with my pets and firmly released both of them. Evidently my dog is a better route finder that myself because he put us on a brushless ramp that put us back on the logging road in short order.
Feeling much better about things I walked the road feeling very relieved. I soon reached a gate and then realized the road I was on is in the forbidden watershed area so maybe not repeating this route would be best. With about a mile to go it began raining enough for me to put on my raingear and soon was followed by numerous thunderclaps. I ran the last mile not wanting to get caught in the middle of a thundershower. Much to my relief I made it to the car and back on the freeway before the heavens unloaded. Looking back to Scout Patrol from the freeway was 50 shades of black as the area was getting hit quite hard.
When I returned home and read my previous trip report and realized that I headed the other way on the road as I had done on my previous trip I would have been rewarded with a much shorter easy to follow path to Hansen Creek Road.
Anyhow it is good to be back posting,
Humpback 2.6 miles 755' of climb 1:14
Scout Patrol 6.81 miles 1407' of climb 2:43
and I am looking forward to doing may more.
Regards
E
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
With another chance to get out before the impending week long dump of snow I wanted to get out. ONELUV1 was available along with his friend...
-
I was just looking for a short day to get out. Since I was solo I wasn't looking for something overly technical but I still wanted to ...
-
I was very happy to see a improved weather forecast and since I had an entire day I thought I would give the legs a good stretch. The main ...
-
With the better weather expected I was hoping to get some work done on the Homecourt 100. I had read a recent report of using Bessequartz...
-
With an emotional week and a compressed time frame I was looking for something closer. I needed something efficient and with some elevation ...
-
With a rare opportunity with the family away I hoped to squeeze in an overnighter. I sent out some posts and was able to persuade Fletche...
No comments:
Post a Comment